During our second week in Taste Buddies class, we cooked up a menu well suited for a fall Sunday afternoon watching football!
We started with some delicious Sweet Potato Fries:
- Start with a clean sweet potato (peeled or unpeeled, your choice) and chop it up into wedges.
- Throw those wedges into a big Ziploc bag and pour vegetable oil, sugar and salt into the bag. You can also add a few spices such as chipotle powder, smoked paprika, pumpkin pie spice or Allspice.
- Shake up the baggie so the sweet potato wedges get covered in the oil and spice mixture.
Once your Taste Buddy feels its been shaken up enough, place the wedges onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes. Tada! Sweet potato fries!
For our main course, we made black bean burgers:
- Sauté some chopped up onion with garlic.
- Add cumin, chipotle powder and salt to the sauté mixture.
- Once the mixture is cool, throw in some breadcrumbs and a cornstarch/water mixture (our egg substitute).
- Move on to the black beans! Mix them with onions and the breadcrumb mixture until thoroughly mashed (with a few whole beans left over).
- Shape the mixture into patties and grill them for a few minutes.
Once done, put the patties on a bun and add whatever veggies, cheese and condiments you like!
For dessert — a melon salad! We picked up a cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew and used melon ballers to scoop out the fruit. For a fun twist we placed the melon balls into an ice cream cone (what an adorable display).
Wishing you happy times in the kitchen,