Chef Kristi and Chef Rich cooked up many hearty, unique and satisfying dishes during our First Winter Session, which wrapped up last week right before Valentine’s Day! Here are some of their favorite recipes — created, tasted and approved by our Taste Buddies’ kids!
Taste Buddies meets on Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. at the Lincoln Park Whole Foods!
Rosemary Apple Butter Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 tsp. butter, softened. Use a little less if you are baking your sandwiches.
- 1 tbsp. apple butter, divide between both pieces of bread
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves (10 leaves on each piece of bread).
- Thinly sliced or grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Thinly sliced or grated Gruyere cheese
Smooth butter over one side of each bread slice; top other sides evenly with apple butter. Sprinkle rosemary over the side of the bread that is coated with apple butter. Top with sliced cheese and remaining bread slice, buttered side up.
Heat nonstick griddle over medium-high heat. When hot, turn down heat to medium and grill sandwich 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- ½ cup walnuts halves or soy nuts
- ½ cup non-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ lemon, zest finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large crisp apples, such as Gala
- 2 ribs celery (with leaves), sliced into ½” thick pieces (leaves chopped)
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 head Boston lettuce, trimmed, washed, and dried
Whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, honey, and lemon zest in a large bowl and season generously with pepper.
Halve, core, and cut the apples into ¾” pieces, leaving the skin intact. Add the apples, celery and raisins to the bowl, and sprinkle with the lemon juice; then toss with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
When ready to serve, toss walnuts/soy nuts into the salad. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter, or divide them among 4 salad plates. Place the salad on the lettuce and serve.
Pretzel Heart Pastry
All you need is Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, cut two into 1 ½” strips, twist together and sprinkle with both Cheddar and Gruyère cheese. Squish it down on tray and bake at 375°F for 16 minutes. Add a bit if Italian parsley on top for extra color. Serve with Marinara sauce for a truly loveable treat!