Tips From Kim:
Make Your Crunches Count
Did you ever wonder why after doing hundreds of sit-ups, you don’t see a six-pack but instead see the dreaded poof and are left with a back ache? It’s probably because most of us don’t do them correctly and end up doing more harm than good. Here are several tips to help tighten up your post baby belly and how to protect your body in the process:
- Lie down with your back flat to the floor. It’s crucial that you pull your belly button into your spine, flattening it to the floor.
- Keep your abs tight, pull your belly button into the spine and slowly lift those shoulders off the ground without lifting your spine.
- Don’t clasp your hands behind you your head, pulling on your neck, but instead gently cradle it. Relax your head and neck, as you should never feel yourself straining. You should feel as though you have an apple under your chin.
- Elbows should be out of your line of vision, concentrating on keeping your belly button pulled into your spine.
- Exhale as you crunch up and inhale as your roll back down through the spine.
- If you feel it in your hip flexors you are not doing it correctly and could injure your back. Proper form and control of the spine is something that you should continually check as you do any type of crunch.
The best results always come from hard work. Even with the proper form a
six -pack involves more than just crunches. It’s the whole package including nutrition, cardio-vascular work and adding weights into your workout. It might take you longer to reach your goals, or be more difficult, but chasing short-term goals will only take you backwards. You’ll see better overall results and feel better if you do them slowly, correctly and with control. Remember, proper form prevents the poof! You’ll be rocking that six-pack in no time!
Kim Schiefelbein is the Senior Director of Music & Fitness at Bubbles Academy, where she has been teaching for the past 10 years. A certified fitness instructor, Kim designed and leads the Mama Bootcamp program which meets every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:30am. Kim is also proud to have been chosen as a Fitness Ambassador for Athleta.